Alternative forms edit
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈʃɔːtkʌt/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈʃoɹtˌkʌt/
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /ˈʃoːt.kat/, [ˈʃoːʔ.kat], [ˈʃoːʔ.kaʔ]
- Hyphenation: short‧cut
shortcut (plural shortcuts)
- A path between two points that is faster than the commonly used paths.
- A method to accomplish something that omits one or more steps.
- 2021 November 3, “Network News: EMR changes claims process”, in RAIL, number 943, page 15:
- East Midlands Railway is introducing new shortcuts for claiming compensation in the event of late-running services.
- (computing, in the Microsoft family of operating systems) A file that points to the location of another file and serves as a quick way to access it.
- There are shortcuts to some of my favourite applications on my desktop.
- A keyboard shortcut: a combination of keystrokes that provides easier access to a command or operation.
Derived terms edit
a file that points to the location of another file and serves as a quick way to access it
keyboard shortcut — see keyboard shortcut
See also edit
- To take or use a shortcut