See also: smörgåsbord
smorgasbord (plural smorgasbords)
- A buffet with many small dishes.
- 1965, California Bureau of Food and Drug Inspections, Recommendations for Food Protection Devices: Cafeterias, Buffets, Chuck Wagons, Smorgasbords, page 1:
- Cafeterias, buffets, chuck wagon service and smorgasbords are becoming increasingly popular food service methods.
- 2010, Jeff Pepper, quoting Pete Helland, Daily Triumph, quoted in Thanks to God for the Smorgasbord, page 15:
- It is a smorgasbord. That means that after you pay a certain amount of money for your meal you can eat anything you want, together with as much as you want. I remember the first time my folks took me to a smorgasbord.
- 2011, Darwin Porter; Danforth Prince; Roger Norum, Frommer's Scandinavia, page 17:
- The fame of the smörgåsbord (smorgasbord) is justly deserved. Using a vast array of dishes—everything from Baltic herring to smoked reindeer—the smorgasbord (never served in the evening) can be eaten either as hors d'oeuvres or as a meal in itself.
- (figuratively) An abundant and diverse collection of things.
- 2004, Nicholas Ayo, Times of Grace: Spiritual Rhythms of the Year at the University of Notre Dame, page 59:
- Here is the smorgasbord of life, and our unfocused eyes are even bigger than our stomachs.
- 2011, Lorena Bathey, Happy Beginnings: How I Became My Own Fairy Godmother:
- It appeared to me that this sexual smorgasbord was a way for these women to feel something again.
- 2011, Charles Hanly, “Chapter Seven: Logic, Meaning and Truth in Psychoanalytic Research”, in Jorge Canestri, Marianne Leuzinger-Bohleber, Mary Target, editors, Early Development and its Disturbances, page 211:
- As such, and unlike philosophy which has toyed with this self-definition, it is not good enough for psychoanalysis to be a smorgasbord of alternative ways of interpreting human nature. The smorgasbord of available therapies is already heavily laden with alternative psychotherapies without psychoanalysis adding further varieties of its own.
buffet with many small dishes — See also translations at buffet