From Latin digitus (“a finger or toe”).
digit (plural digits)
- A finger or toe.
- A numeral that can be combined with others to write larger numbers, and that cannot itself be split into other numerals.
- The digits of the decimal number system are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, and those in the hexadecimal number system are those in the decimal system along with A, B, C, D, E and F.
- The number 2307 has four digits: the thousands digit is 2; the hundreds digit is 3; the tens digit is 0; and the units digit is 7.
- (slang, UK, in the plural) One's phone number.
- That girl likes me — she gave me her digits.
finger or toe
slang: one's phone number