nominal (not comparable)
- Of, resembling, relating to, or consisting of a name or names.
- Assigned to or bearing a person's name.
- Existing in name only.
- a nominal difference
- (philosophy) Of or relating to nominalism.
- Insignificantly small; trifling.
- He gave me only a nominal sum for my services.
- Of or relating to the presumed or approximate value, rather than the actual value.
- The nominal voltage is 1.5 V, but the actual figure is usually higher.
- (finance) Of, relating to, or being the amount or face value of a sum of money or a stock certificate, for example, and not the purchasing power or market value.
- (finance) Of, relating to, or being the rate of interest or return without adjustment for compounding or inflation.
- (grammar) Of or relating to a noun or word group that functions as a noun.
- This sentence contains a nominal phrase.
- (engineering) According to plan or design; normal.
- We'll just do a nominal flight check.
- (economics) Without adjustment to remove the effects of inflation; contrasted with real.
- My employer does not understand how low my nominal wage is.
- The nominal GNP of this country is pretty low.
- 1991, Richard J. Gilbert, Regulatory Choices: A Perspective on Developments in Energy Policy, page 267,
- Comparisons of the costs of the Diablo Canyon plant with other nuclear power plants can be misleading because the available cost data are in nominal dollars and therefore include the toll of inflation over the construction periods.
- 2001, Erich A. Helfert, Financial Analysis: Tools and Techniques: A Guide for Managers, page 467,
- This simple process allows us to convert nominal dollars into inflation-adjusted real dollars.
- (statistics, of a variable) Having values whose order is insignificant.
- (economics): real
terms related to nominal (adjective)
of or relating to a name or names
of or relating to the presumed or approximate value
of or relating to a noun
economics: without adjustment to remove the effects of inflation
statistics: having values whose order is insignificant
nominal (plural nominals)
- (grammar) A noun or word group that functions as a noun phrase.
- This sentence contains two nominals.
- (grammar) A part of speech that shares features with nouns and adjectives.
- nominal in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- nominal in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
nominal m (plural nominaux)
nominal 4 nom/acc forms
declension of nominal
Read in another language
This page is available in 28 languages