Non-Sino-Vietnamese reading of Chinese 凍 (“freeze”; SV: đống). Cognate with Tho [Cuối Chăm] /tɒːŋ³/.
đóng (𠘃, 㨂, 凍, 棟)
- (transitive, intransitive) to close, shut, be closed (a door, lid, border)
đóng cửa sổ ― to shut a window
Tiệm đóng cửa hôm nay. ― The shop is closed today.
- Antonym: mở
- (transitive, intransitive, business, computing) to shut down
Một công ty máy tính ở Anh thông báo đóng cửa vì bị phá sản. ― A British computer company announced its closure due to bankruptcy.
- Antonym: mở
- (transitive) to drive (a nail, stake)
đóng đinh ― to drive a nail
- Antonyms: tháo, gỡ, tháo gỡ
- (intransitive) to congeal, solidify (grease, water, blood)}
- Antonym: tan
- (transitive) to pack (wine, flour, goods in a container)
- (transitive) to appear in, star in, play a role in (a play, movie, show)
- (transitive) to post, pay, submit (tuition, bond, taxes, bail)
1957, Đoàn Giỏi, chapter 17, in Đất rừng phương Nam, Kim Đồng: Họ phải đóng thuế hằng năm như đóng thuế ruộng đấy, con ạ.
- They have to pay annual taxes just like paying land tax, son.
- Synonym: nộp
- (transitive) to assemble (a table, shoe, ship, book)
- (transitive) to wear tightly, fasten to oneself (a loincloth, harness, yoke)
- (transitive) to affix (a seal)
- (transitive or intransitive, military) to station; to be stationed
- (transitive, dated) to achieve a specific military rank