|Revised Romanization (translit.)?||geolpeulendeu|
걸프렌드 • (geolpeurendeu)
- (dated) girlfriend
- Synonyms: 여자친구(女子親舊) (yeojachin'gu), 여친(女親) (yeochin, colloquial)
- Coordinate term: 보이프렌드 (boipeurendeu)
- 1970, “頒布 524돌 맞은 한글 反省”, in Kyunghyang Shinmun:
- 날씬한 걸프렌드나 하나 달고 뮤직홀에 가서 소울이나 사이키델릭을 들으면서 레저를 즐기는 것도 퍽 모던한 취미가 아니겠어?
- nalssinhan geolpeurendeu-na hana dalgo myujikhor-e gaseo sour-ina saikidellig-eul deureumyeonseo rejeo-reul jeulgineun geot-do peok modeonhan chwimi-ga ani-gess-eo?
- If I were to go to a music hall with one svelte girlfriend at my side and indulge in leisure while listening to soul or psychedelic [music], wouldn't that be a very fashionable hobby too?
- 1974, “西域 萬里 終着地 이스탄불”, in The Chosun Ilbo:
Usage notes edit
- This term was common in the 1960s and 1970s to denote the novel social concept of "girlfriend", then newly introduced from the West, but has now been displaced by the native coinage 여자친구 (yeojachin'gu). The borrowing is today rarely used, and then most often as an intentional reference to the English word girlfriend or the Japanese equivalent ガールフレンド (gārufurendo) (e.g. in foreign contexts, or in genres that intentionally emulate foreign writing).