Waage (plural Waages)
- A surname.
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Waage is the 31001st most common surname in the United States, belonging to 749 individuals. Waage is most common among White (96.26%) individuals.
- Hanks, Patrick, editor (2003), “Waage”, in Dictionary of American Family Names, volume 3, New York City: Oxford University Press, →ISBN.
- Wage (archaic since 1927; nonstandard since 1996)
The spelling Waage was used alongside Wage since at least the 17th century. As the etymological school of the 19th century favoured single vowels, some doubled spellings like baar, Schooß, Waage were abolished during the reforms of the early 20th century. However, the spelling Waage was standardised again by two decrees from the governments of Austria (March 1927) and Germany (July 1927) in order to avoid the ambiguity between plural Waagen and Wagen (“car[s], carriage[s]”), as for example in Waagenbau (“construction of scales”) versus Wagenbau (“construction of cars”).
Waage f (genitive Waage, plural Waagen)
- (Western astrology signs) Tierkreiszeichen; Widder, Stier, Zwillinge, Krebs, Löwe, Jungfrau, Waage, Skorpion, Schütze, Steinbock, Wassermann, Fische (Category: de:Astrology)
- a surname.
- ^ Erlass des Reichsministers des Innern vom 05. Juli 1927, at www.rechtschreib-werkstatt.de
- a surname.