- (US) enPR: ə-lôft', IPA(key): /əˈlɔft/
- Rhymes: -ɔːft
- (US, cot–caught merger, Canada) enPR: ə-lŏft', IPA(key): /əˈlɑft/
Audio (US) (file)
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: ə-lŏft', IPA(key): /əˈlɒft/
- Rhymes: -ɒft
- At, to, or in the air or sky.
- high winds aloft
- Above, overhead, in a high place; up
- (nautical) in the top, at the masthead, or on the higher yards or rigging.
1859, James Fenimore Cooper, The Red Rover: A Tale:
- I think you said something concerning the manner in which yonder ship has anchored, and of the condition they keep things alow and aloft?