From Middle English aware, iwar, iware, ywar, from Old English ġewær (“aware, wary, cautious”), from ġe- (intensifying prefix) (English a-) + wær (English ware), from Proto-Germanic *gawaraz, *waraz (“aware, watchful, heedful, cautious”), from Proto-Indo-European *worós (“attentive”). Cognate with Dutch gewaar (“aware, conscious”), German gewahr (“aware”), Swedish var (“watchful, wary, cautious”), Icelandic varr (“aware, watchful”). Replaced plain (unintensified) ware. See also Greek ὁράω (horáō, “see”) and Latin vereor (“fear”).
aware (comparative more aware or awarer, superlative most aware or awarest)
- Vigilant or on one's guard against danger or difficulty.
Stay aware! Don't let your guard down.
- Conscious or having knowledge of something.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 7, in The Mirror and the Lamp:
“[…] This is Mr. Churchill, who, as you are aware, is good enough to come to us for his diaconate, and, as we hope, for much longer; and being a gentleman of independent means, he declines to take any payment.” Saying this Walden rubbed his hands together and smiled contentedly.
Are you aware of what is being said about you?
having knowledge of something
- Japanese: please add this translation if you can
- Latin: cōnscius
- Persian: آگاه (fa) (âgâh)
- Polish: świadom (pl) m, świadomy (pl) m
- Portuguese: consciente (pt), ciente (pt)
- Russian: зна́ющий (ru) (znájuščij), осведомлённый (ru) (osvedomljónnyj), све́дущий (ru) (svéduščij), в ку́рсе (ru) (v kúrse)
- Scottish Gaelic: fiosrach
- Serbo-Croatian: свестан, svestan (sh), свестан, svjestan (sh)
- Spanish: consciente (es)
- Swedish: medveten (sv)
- Tagalog: naiino, nakaiino
- Thai: please add this translation if you can
- Ukrainian: зна́ючий (znájučyj), обі́знаний (uk) (obíznanyj)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Bulgarian: (please verify) осведомен (bg) (osvedomen); (please verify) който съзнава, усеща, чувствува, долавя, знае (kojto sǎznava, usešta, čuvstvuva, dolavja, znae)
- Central Kurdish: (please verify) بهخهبهر (bexeber)
- German: (please verify) bewusst (de), (please verify) gewahr (de), (please verify) gewärtig (de)