cataract (plural cataracts)
- (obsolete) A waterspout
- A large waterfall; steep rapids in a river.
- The cataracts on the Nile helped compartiment Upper Egypt
- A flood of water
- An overwhelming downpour or rush
- His cataract of eloquence
- (pathology) A disease of the eye causing its opacity and, unless treated, leading to blindness.
1999, J J Gallo, J Busby-Whitehead, W Reichel, P V Rabins, R A Silliman, Reichel's care of the elderly, page 563:
- Rarely, a dense, swollen neglected cataract precipitates an angle-closure glaucoma.
opacity of the lens in the eye
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.