- cheerfull (archaic)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈtʃɪɹfəl/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈtʃɪəfəl/
- Hyphenation: cheer‧ful
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪərfʊl
- Noticeably happy and optimistic.
- Bright and pleasant.
- They enjoyed a cheerful room.
- 1892, Walter Besant, chapter III, in The Ivory Gate: A Novel, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, […], OCLC 16832619:
- At half-past nine on this Saturday evening, the parlour of the Salutation Inn, High Holborn, contained most of its customary visitors. […] In former days every tavern of repute kept such a room for its own select circle, a club, or society, of habitués, who met every evening, for a pipe and a cheerful glass.