- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡəʊɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡoʊɪŋ/, /ˈɡɔɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: go‧ing
- Rhymes: -əʊɪŋ
Verb form from Middle English goinge, goynge, gayng, variants of gonde, goonde, gaand, from Old English gānde, from Proto-Germanic *gēndz, present participle of Proto-Germanic *gēną, *gāną (“to go”), equivalent to go + -ing. Cognate with West Frisian geanend (“going”), Dutch gaand (“going”), German gehend (“going”), Danish gående (“going”), Swedish gående (“going”).
- present participle of
- (in combination) Attending or visiting (a stated event, place, etc.) habitually or regularly.
- theatre-going, church-going, movie-going
going (plural goings)
- A departure.
- Thy going is not lonely, with thee goes thy Husband
- The suitability of ground for riding, walking etc.
- The going was very difficult over the ice.
- We made good going for a while, but then we came to the price.
- (figuratively) Conditions for advancing in any way.
- Not only were the streets not paved with gold, but the going was difficult for an immigrant.
- (obsolete) pregnancy; gestation; childbearing
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Crew to this entry?)
- (in the plural) Course of life; behaviour; doings; ways.
- Bible, Job 34.21:
- His eyes are upon the ways of man, and he seeth all his goings.
- Bible, Job 34.21:
- (in the phrase "the going of") The whereabouts (of something).
- I can't find my sunglasses; you haven't seen the going of them, have you?
going (not comparable)
- Likely to continue; viable.
- He didn't want to make an unsecured loan to the business because it didn't look like a going concern.
- Current, prevailing.
- The going rate for manual snow-shoveling is $25 an hour.
- (especially after a noun phrase with a superlative) Available.
- He has the easiest job going.
- 2013, Natalie Dormer, interview on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson:
- Craig: Did you look at Tudor life? did you do a lot of studying about that?
- Natalie: Yeah, I was really geeky about it, I read every single book that was going.