have one's cake and eat it too
- (idiomatic) To seek to have two things which are mutually incompatible (such as eating a piece of cake and yet still possessing that piece for future use).
- It's not possible to get your savings and keep the piggy bank intact. You can't have your cake and eat it too!
- This expression is usually found in some form of the proverb: You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
to seek to have two things which are mutually incompatible
- best of both worlds
- butter one's bread on both sides
- have it both ways
- judge, jury and executioner
- run with the hare and hunt with the hounds
- suck and blow