- The act of imposing, laying on, affixing, enjoining, inflicting, obtruding, and the like.
- That which is imposed, levied, or enjoined.
- An excessive, arbitrary, or unlawful exaction; hence, a trick or deception put or laid on others.
- (printing) Arrangement of a printed product’s pages on the printer's sheet so as to have the pages in proper order in the final product.
- (religion) A practice of laying hands on a person in a religious ceremony; used e.g. in confirmation and ordination.
- (Britain) A task imposed on a student as punishment.
- (act of imposing and the like): imposure, infliction, obtrusion
- (that which is imposed, levied, or enjoined): burden, charge, enjoinder, injunction, tax
- (excessive, arbitrary, or unlawful exaction): cheating, deception, delusion, fraud, imposture, trick
act of imposing, laying on, affixing, enjoining, inflicting, obtruding, and the like
that which is imposed, levied, or enjoined
arrangement of pages on printing sheet
school: task imposed as punishment
- imposition in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- imposition in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913