From Middle Vietnamese 𩈘 (mặt).
Originally meaning “eye” and is the regular descendant of Proto-Vietic *mat (“eye”), further from Proto-Mon-Khmer *mat (“eye”). Related to mắt (“eye”). The semantic change of “eye” > “face” can also be seen in Muong, most dialects of which use a single form, măt, to mean both “eye” and “face”.
(classifier cái, bộ, gương, khuôn, bản) mặt • (末, 牧, 𩈘, 𫖀, 𫆴)
- face (front part of head)
- face (facial expression)
- face (public image)
- face (geometry: bounding surface of a polyhedron)
- face (surface, especially a front or outer one)
- aspect; dimension
- về nhiều mặt ― in many aspects
- (archaic) right (of direction)
- Synonym: phải
- tay mặt ― the right hand/arm