- (transitive) To make holy; to consecrate. Set aside for sacred or ceremonial use.
- And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
- (transitive) To free from sin; to purify.
- And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
- Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.
- (transitive) To make acceptable or useful under religious law or practice.
- For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
- (transitive) To endorse with religious sanction.
to make holy