stoker (plural stokers)
- A person who stokes, especially one on a steamship who stokes coal in the boilers.
- A device for stoking a fire; a poker.
- A device that feeds coal into a furnace etc automatically.
- 1962 April, “Motive power miscellany: London Midland Region”, in Modern Railways, page 278:
- As we reported was to occur, two of Saltley's stoker-fitted 2-10-0s, Nos. 92165/7, have been stripped of their stokers at Crewe works.
- A person who pedals on the back of a tandem bicycle.
person who stokes
poker — see poker
- IPA(key): /ˈstoː.kər/, (Southern Dutch) [ˈstoː.kər], (Northern Dutch) [ˈstoʊ̯.kər]
- Hyphenation: sto‧ker
- Rhymes: -oːkər