- To convert a representation of language, typically speech but also sign language, etc., to a written representation of it. The term now usually implies the conversion of speech to text by a human transcriptionist with the assistance of a computer for word processing and sometimes also for speech recognition, the process of a computer interpreting speech and converting it to text.
- (dictation) To make such a conversion from live or recorded speech to text.
- The doctor made several recordings today which she will transcribe into medical reports tomorrow.
- (computing) To transfer data from one recording medium to another.
- (music) To adapt a composition for a voice or instrument other than the original; to notate live or recorded music.
- (biochemistry) To cause DNA to undergo transcription.
- (linguistics) To represent speech by phonetic symbols.
Derived terms edit
Related terms edit
to convert a representation of language into another
dictation: to make such conversion from speech to text
music: to adapt a composition
biology: to cause to undergo transcription
linguistics: to represent speech by phonetic symbols