- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [vaːj˦ˀ˥]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [vaːj˧˨]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [vaːj˨˩˦] ~ [jaːj˨˩˦]
From Proto-Vietic *vaːs (“to broadcast (rice)”), perhaps from Proto-Mon-Khmer *bah, *baas (“to flow out”). Alternatively, a non-Sino-Vietnamese reading of Chinese 播 (“to broadcast; to sow”; SV: bá). Compare Khmer ពាស (piəh, “spreading throughout”), Mon ဟး (hah, “to overflow”).
- to spill (something) all over; to strew; to broadcast
- (of rice, seeds, etc.) to be spilled all over; to be scattered
- to excrete (involuntarily); to let out; to urinate or pee (by accident)