- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see put, down.
- Why don't you put down your briefcase and stay awhile?
- (idiomatic) To insult, belittle, or demean.
- They frequently put down their little sister for walking slowly.
- (of money as deposit) To pay.
- We put down a $1,000 deposit.
- To halt, eliminate, stop, or squelch, often by force.
- The government quickly put down the insurrection.
- 22 March 2012, Scott Tobias, AV Club The Hunger Games
- For the 75 years since a district rebellion was put down, The Games have existed as an assertion of the Capital’s power, a winner-take-all contest that touts heroism and sacrifice—participants are called “tributes”— while pitting the districts against each other.
- (euphemistic) To euthanize (an animal).
- Rex was in so much pain, they had to put him down.
- 2016, "Dog found buried alive in Redcar with nail in head", BBC:
A couple walking in Kirkleatham Woods, Redcar, heard whimpering and found the terrier-type animal in a mound of earth at about midday. It was rushed to a vet but its injuries were so serious it had to be put down.
- To write (something).
- Put down the first thing you think of on this piece of paper.
- (of a telephone) To terminate a call; to hang up.
- Don't put the phone down. I want a quick word with him,too.
- To add a name to a list.
- I've put myself down for the new Spanish conversation course.
- To make prices, or taxes, lower.
- BP are putting petrol and diesel down in what could be the start of a price war.
- (idiomatic) To place a baby somewhere to sleep.
- I had just put Mary down when you rang. So now she's crying again.
- (idiomatic, of an aircraft) To land.
- The pilot managed to put down in a nearby farm field.
- (idiomatic) To drop someone off, or let them out of a vehicle.
- The taxi put him down outside the hotel.
- (idiomatic) To cease, temporarily or permanently, reading (a book).
- I was unable to put down The Stand: it was that exciting.
set down, stop carrying
administer euthanasia to an animal
- Alternative spelling of