From Proto-West Semitic *rūḥ-. Cognate with Arabic رُوح (rūḥ).
רוּחַ • (rúakh) m or f (plural indefinite רוּחוֹת)
- Wind, a wind: (a) movement of atmospheric air.
- Air, atmosphere.
- Synonyms: אוויר, אטמוספירה
- A direction, a cardinal direction: any of north, south, east, or west.
- (Biblical Hebrew) breath
- A person's spirit, soul.
- A person's spirit, mind: his or her desires, emotions, personality, and so on, taken collectively.
- The spirit of something: its core, its essence, its purpose.
- The spirit of something: its manner or style.
ברוח שנות ה-90 ― b'rúakh sh'nót hatishím ― in the spirit of the 90s
- A spirit, a demon: a supernatural creature.