See also: italian
- IPA(key): /ɪˈtæljən/, enPR: ĭtălʹyən
- (US, less common) IPA(key): /ˌaɪˈtæljən/
Audio (standard US) (file)
- Pertaining to Italy, its people or its language.
- (obsolete, not comparable) Using an italic style; italic.
- 1868, Henry Noel Humphreys, A History of the Art of Printing, page 175:
- It has been shown that there was a great disposition on the part of some German printers, especially Albert Durer, to adopt the rounded Italian type; others preferring the crisp angularity of the Gothic black-letter, even for general purposes; while for books of devotion it appears to have been deemed the more orthodox; the Italian style of type being deemed an innovation.
of or pertaining to Italy
of or pertaining to Italians
of or pertaining to the Italian language
- (countable) An inhabitant of Italy, or a person of Italian descent.
- 2012 May 5, Phil McNulty, “Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool”, in BBC Sport:
- As Di Matteo celebrated and captain John Terry raised the trophy for the fourth time, the Italian increased his claims to become the permanent successor to Andre Villas-Boas by landing a trophy.
- (uncountable) The official language of Italy, also spoken in San Marino, the Vatican, and parts of Argentina, Slovenia and Switzerland.
- (uncountable, cooking) A style of cuisine or individual dishes of or associated with Italy or Italian people.
- 1995, Betty Crocker's New Italian Cooking, page 5:
- Simple Cannoli, Lemon Ice, or a delicious Tira Mi Su. With so many wonderful recipes, you can eat Italian anytime.
- (uncountable, textiles) A type of linen or cotton cloth with satin finish used primarily for linings, Italian cloth.
- (uncountable) Italian vermouth, a dark-colored, sweet or mildly bitter vermouth.
- gin and Italian
- 1971, John Doxat, The World of Drinks and Drinking, page 102:
- So the English women would have been interested in American drinks, and in came the gin-and-Italian, for example.
- (countable) An Italian sandwich.
inhabitant of Italy
- Wiktionary’s coverage of Italian terms
- Appendix:Italian Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Italian