Contact and discussions
Contact, discussions and requests on Wiktionary:
- Discussion rooms or forums:
- Information desk – for questions from newcomers and newbies
- Tea room – for questions concerning particular words
- Etymology scriptorium – for discussion of word origin
- Beer parlour – for policy discussion and cross-entry discussion
- Request pages – for processes such as attestation and deletion
- Votes – votes that establish community policies
- Fun stuff – fun community competitions
Other means of communication:
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Chat with Wiktionarians in real-time on our IRC channel
- Get help from the administrators
- Find out more about the Wiktionarians
- See Help:Contents for an overview
- Read our tutorial
- Find out how to create a new page
- Read about editing a page
- Discover our norms for Interacting with humans
- Experiment with editing in the sandbox
- See changes in how to edit at Wiktionary:News for editors
- Find out community goings-on in Wiktionary:Announcements
- Can't find the word you are looking for? Request it!
Policies and guidelines
- Wiktionary:Entry layout explained – How to layout and format article sections; essential for creation and expansion of entries
- Wiktionary:Criteria for inclusion – What deserves to be included in Wiktionary
- Wiktionary:Blocking policy – Outlines when it is appropriate for administrators to block users
Secondary and possibly outdated guidelines:
- Wiktionary:Quotations – Guide to adding quotations to articles
- Wiktionary:Categories – Discussion about categories
- Wiktionary:Idioms – A note about idioms
- Wiktionary:Pictures – Discussion on pictures
- Wiktionary:Index to templates in use in Wiktionary—please check these before creating any new templates.
- Wiktionary:Policies and guidelines
Discussion on policy:
Things to do
- Requests for cleanup (Automated list).
- Webster 1913 entries – pages which have not been, or have only partly been, updated since importation from the Webster 1913 edition.
- Translations to be checked – pages with translations to be checked.
- Definitions needed – articles that are placeholders, waiting for definition. OR, just a sub-section is undefined.
- Requested entries – a list of articles manually requested by people.
- Special:Random/Transwiki – entries imported from Wikipedia that need cleanup to become Wiktionary entries (move them to main namespace, if they meet WT:CFI.)
- Short pages – pages with either zero or little content (30 characters or less), and therefore needing a proper entry made for them.
- Uncategorised pages – see Wiktionary:Categorization
See also: Category:Requests
There are a number of Wiktionary projects on the go at any one time, developing certain aspects of Wiktionary. All contributions are welcome.
- Phrasebook – a multilingual resource for learning simple phrases in foreign languages
- Swadesh lists – lists of approximately 200 basic vocabulary words in various world languages
- Wikisaurus – a Wiki-based thesaurus
- Frequency lists – lists of the most common words from various sources
- Index to templates – trying to establish a master list of templates in use in Wiktionary, to avoid errors in creating new templates unnecessarily. Please add any templates you know to this list.
- Tracking new words in newspapers
- Wiktionary:Index – index to project pages