- Any fish of the order Siluriformes, mainly found in fresh water, lacking scales, and having barbels like whiskers around the mouth.
type of fish
- To fish for catfish
- I only use this rod for catfishing
From the 2010 documentary Catfish.
catfish (plural catfishes)
- (Internet) Someone who creates a fake profile on a social media platform in order to seduce people.
- (Internet) Such a fake profile.
- (Internet, slang, transitive) To create a fake online profile to seduce (someone).
2013 January 17, Mary Pilon, “In Te’o Story, Deception Ripped From the Screen”, in The New York Times, ISSN 0362-4331:
- Getting catfished is when someone falls for a person online who is not necessarily real. It can involve pictures, phone calls, social media profiles, text messages, e-mails and even phony friends or family members.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:catfish.