civilian (plural civilians)
- A person following the pursuits of civil life, especially one who is not an active member of the armed forces.
- Three civilians were apprehended by the soldiers and taken away in a military vehicle.
- (informal) A person who does not belong to a particular group or engage in a particular activity.
- The bathroom was for employees only, so no civilians were allowed to use it.
- One skilled in civil law.
- A student of civil law at a university or college.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of R. Graves to this entry?)
civilian (not comparable)
- Not related to the military, police or other professions.
- The three detainees were actually army defectors wearing civilian clothing.
- He worked as a civilian journalist for ten years before being employed by the public broadcaster.