- A comb with fine, closely-spaced teeth.
- (figuratively) A means of making a thorough search.
- The police went through his possessions with a fine-tooth comb.
Sometimes misunderstood as fine toothcomb, especially in the figurative sense. This form of the expression, and the associated concept of a toothcomb, is often considered erroneous, but fine toothcomb is said to be now 'accepted in standard English' by at least one major dictionary .
- To go over or through with a fine-tooth comb
- (figuratively) To search meticulously.