- Of or relating to the administration of justice.
- Of or relating to the court system or the judicial branch of government.
- (Ireland, historical) specified by a civil bill court under the terms of the Land Law (Ireland) Act, 1881
- Of or relating to judgeship or the judiciary, the collective body of judges.
- Of or relating to sound judgment; judicious (but see Usage notes).
Many editors would maintain the differentiation between judicial and judicious and thus would advise that writers should not confuse judicial (having to do with justice and judiciary systems) with judicious (showing good judgment). In adhering to this prescription, a phrase such as judicious use of X (wisely chosen use of X) is not interchangeable with judicial use of X (use of X by the courts). Descriptively, judicial is polysemic, with one of its senses meaning judicious, but the purpose of the prescription is to avoid having some readers sense awkwardness or apparent catachresis in the poorly chosen (albeit descriptively not wrong) usage; the editorial idea is that regardless of correctness or incorrectness, it is preferable to use the better/clearer word instead and thus avoid any chance of reader annoyance or reader confusion/missense. Meanwhile, the word juridical is not well differentiated in meaning from judicial, the two having substantial semantic overlap.
- That branch of government which is responsible for maintaining the courts of law and for the administration of justice.
- Synonym: judiciary
judicial (masculine and feminine plural judicials)
- “judicial” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- “judicial”, in Gran Diccionari de la Llengua Catalana, Grup Enciclopèdia Catalana, 2022
- “judicial” in Diccionari normatiu valencià, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua.
- “judicial” in Diccionari català-valencià-balear, Antoni Maria Alcover and Francesc de Borja Moll, 1962.
judicial m or f (plural judiciais)
For quotations using this term, see Citations:judicial.
- “judicial” in Michaelis Dicionário Brasileiro da Língua Portuguesa.
- “judicial” in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa.
- IPA(key): (Spain) /xudiˈθjal/, [xu.ð̞iˈθjal]
- IPA(key): (Latin America) /xudiˈsjal/, [xu.ð̞iˈsjal]
Audio (Colombia) (file)
judicial (plural judiciales)