See also: Liaison
- Rhymes: -eɪzən
- (UK) IPA(key): /liˈeɪ.zɒ̃/, /liˈeɪ.zɒn/, /liˈeɪ.z(ə)n/, (nonstandard) /laɪˈeɪ.zɒn/, /laɪˈeɪ.zən/
- (US) IPA(key): /li.ˈeɪ.zɑn/, /li.ˈeɪ.sɑn/, (nonstandard) /ˈlaɪ.ə.sən/
Audio (US) (file)
|Examples (pronunciation of a normally silent consonant)|
- Communication between two parties or groups.
- Co-operation, working together.
- A relayer of information between two forces in an army or during war.
- Any person who relays information between two groups or organizations.
- As a community liaison, I work to make sure the general public knows about our organization's work.
- A tryst, romantic meeting.
- (figuratively) An illicit sexual relationship or affair.
- (phonology) Fusion of two consecutive words and the manner in which this occurs.
- (phonology) The pronunciation of a normally silent final consonant when the next word begins with a vowel.
communication between two parties or groups
co-operation, working together
a relayer of information between two forces in an army or during war
a tryst, romantic meeting
an illicit sexual relationship or affair
linguistics: a sandhi
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
liaison f (plural liaisons)
- link, bond
- liaison (romantic encounter)
- liaison (communication)
- (linguistics) liaison (phonological phenomenon)
- (chemistry) bond