Alteration by influence of the proper name María Juana (“Mary Jane”) is believed to be folk etymology.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌmɛɹɪˈwɑ.nə/, /ˌmæɹ-/, /-ˈhwɑ-/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌmæɹɪˈwɑː.nə/
- Drug smoked or ingested for euphoric effect, Cannabis (drug).
- After smoking a bowl of that fine marijuana, they ate some brownies.
- The hemp plant itself, Cannabis sativa.
- See also Wikisaurus:marijuana
the plant Cannabis sativa
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- “marijuana” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary (2001).
marijuana f (invariable)