- (intransitive) to submerge (to go down in water)
O submarino mergulhou vinte metro.
- The submarine submerged twenty meters.
- (intransitive, or transitive with em) to dive (to jump into water)
Se você mergulhar no lago sem ver a profundidade, pode bater a cabeça.
- If you dive into the lake without checking the depth, you could hit your head.
- (figuratively, intransitive) to dive (to descend or decrease sharply or steeply)
A colheita foi tão boa que o preço do trigo mergulhou.
- The harvest was so good that the price of wheat dived.
- (ditransitive, with the indirect object taking em) to dip (to lower something into a liquid)
Mergulhe as batatas no óleo para fritá-las.
- Dip the potatoes into the oil in order to fry them.
- (figuratively, transitive with em) to immerse oneself in (to involve oneself deeply in)
Mergulhei na música e nunca mais voltei.
- I immersed myself in music I never came back.
- (intransitive) to dive (to work as a diver)
Ganho pouco dinheiro mergulhando, mas adoro meu trabalho.
- I earn little money diving, but I love my job.
Conjugation of the Portuguese -ar verb mergulhar