- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- (countable) The determination of the relative position of something or someone.
- (countable) The relative physical position or direction of something.
- (uncountable) The construction of a Christian church to have its aisle in an east-west direction with the altar at the east end.
- (countable) An inclination, tendency or direction.
- (countable) The ability to orient.
- (countable) An adjustment to a new environment.
- (countable) An introduction to a (new) environment.
- (typography, countable) The direction of print across the page; landscape or portrait.
- (analysis, differential geometry, countable) The choice of which ordered bases are "positively" oriented and which are "negatively" oriented on a real vector space.
- (analytic geometry, topology, countable) The designation of a parametrised curve as "positively" or "negatively" oriented (or "nonorientable"); the analogous description of a surface or hypersurface.
the act of orienting
position relative to compass bearings
the oriented construction of a Christian church
an inclination, tendency or direction
ability to orient
introduction to a new environment
the direction of print across the page
(analysis, differential geometry)
(analytic geometry, topology)
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked