From Latin quota pars; see Latin quota.
quota (plural quotas)
- A proportional part or share; the share or proportion assigned to each in a division.
- A prescribed number or percentage that may serve as, for example, a maximum, a minimum, or a goal.
- 2012 May 27, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “New Kid On The Block” (season 4, episode 8; originally aired 11/12/1992)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- The episode’s unwillingness to fully commit to the pathos of the Bart-and-Laura subplot is all the more frustrating considering its laugh quota is more than filled by a rollicking B-story that finds Homer, he of the iron stomach and insatiable appetite, filing a lawsuit against The Frying Dutchman when he’s hauled out of the eatery against his will after consuming all of the restaurant’s shrimp (plus two plastic lobsters).
- 2020 October 30, "Olimar's Assignment", in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, day 3: River:
- Captain Olimar: 'We have to work harder on finding some truly valuable treasures. The sooner we hit our quota, the sooner I can get back to my wife and kids on Hocotate.'
- (business, economics) A restriction on the import of something to a specific quantity.
- (proportional part): allocation, allotment, apportionment, quotum
prescribed number or percentage
form of protectionism
From Latin quota pars. Doublet of cota, a semi-learned borrowing.
quota f (plural quotes)
- share, portion (of a shared payment)
- fee, dues
- La quota per ser soci és de 35 euros anuals per família. ― The fee to be a member is 35 euros a year per family.
- (business) quota
- “quota” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- (Hong Kong Cantonese) quota (prescribed maximum amount); limit (Classifier: 個／个 c)
- Plural form of quotum
quota m (plural quotas)
- “quota”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
quota f (plural quote)
See the etymology of the corresponding lemma form.
- inflection of quotare:
- quota: (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈkʷo.ta/, [ˈkʷɔt̪ä]
- quota: (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ˈkwo.ta/, [ˈkwɔːt̪ä]
- quotā: (Classical) IPA(key): /ˈkʷo.taː/, [ˈkʷɔt̪äː]
- quotā: (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ˈkwo.ta/, [ˈkwɔːt̪ä]
- inflection of quotus:
- quota in Charles du Fresne du Cange’s Glossarium Mediæ et Infimæ Latinitatis (augmented edition with additions by D. P. Carpenterius, Adelungius and others, edited by Léopold Favre, 1883–1887)
- Rhymes: -ɔtɐ
- Hyphenation: quo‧ta
quota f (plural quotas)
quota f (plural quotas)
- Obsolete spelling of cuota