- præscribe (archaic)
- IPA(key): /pɹɪˈskɹaɪb/
- (distinguished from proscribe) IPA(key): /ˈpɹiːˌskɹaɪb/
- Rhymes: -aɪb
- Homophone: proscribe (in some dialects)
- To order (a drug or medical device) for use by a particular patient (under licensed authority).
- The doctor prescribed aspirin.
- To specify as a required procedure or ritual; to lay down authoritatively as a guide, direction, or rule of action.
- The property meets the criteria prescribed by the regulations.
- William Shakespeare
- Prescribe not us our duties.
- John Dryden
- Let streams prescribe their fountains where to run.
to order a drug or medical device
to specify as a required procedure or ritual