statue (plural statues)
- A three-dimensional work of art, usually representing a person or animal, usually created by sculpting, carving, molding, or casting.
- I will raise her statue in pure gold.
2017 October 8, John Oliver, “Confederacy”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 4, episode 26, HBO:
- It’s true, Robert E. Lee was opposed to statues of people like Robert E. Lee! So any city that decides to keep a statue of him should, at the very least, add a speech bubble saying, “You know, I specifically told you all not to do this.”!
- (dated) A portrait.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Massinger to this entry?)
three-dimensional work of art
portrait — see portrait
- (transitive) To form a statue of; to make into a statue.
- The whole man becomes as if statued into stone and earth.
Declension of statue
statue f (plural statues)
- “statue” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- a statue
- “statue” in The Bokmål Dictionary.