- Used to form the third-person singular and the second-person singular formal of an infinitive.
- veszíteni (“to lose”) → Súlyt kell veszítenie. - He/she has to lose weight. / You (formal) have to lose weight.
- The conjugated infinitive denotes action connected to the person. The non-conjugated infinitive has a general meaning.
- Itt nem szabad dohányoznia. (“S/he is not allowed to smoke here. (third person)”)
- Itt nem szabad dohányozni. (“Smoking is not allowed here. (general)”)
- With words like “important, necessary” etc., it is expressed in English as “for him/her to…”.
- Fontos eljönnie. (“It is important for him/her to come here. or It is important that s/he come here.”)
- -nia is added to back-vowel words that form their infinitive with -ni
- -nie is added to front-vowel words that form their infinitive with -ni
- -ania is added to back-vowel words that form their infinitive with -ani
- -enie is added to front-vowel words that form their infinitive with -eni
Declension of -enie