- The "long-term impediment" sense is derived from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, from the seabird.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈæl.bəˌtɹɒs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈæl.bəˌtɹɔs/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈæl.bəˌtɹɑs/
Audio (US) (file)
albatross (plural albatross or albatrosses)
- Any of various large seabirds of the family Diomedeidae ranging widely in the Southern Ocean and the North Pacific and having a hooked beak and long narrow wings.
- (golf) A double eagle, or three under par on any one hole.
- (idiomatic) A long-term impediment, burden, or curse.
three under par
- an albatross (a large oceanic bird of the Southern Hemisphere)
- an albatross (as above)