From the BIRO brand of pens made by the BIC corporation, which were named after László Bíró, the inventor of the pen.
biro (countable and uncountable, plural biros)
- A BIRO brand ballpoint pen.
- 1945 November and December, Railway Magazine, page v, advertisement:
- Biro MARKS A TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF Writing
"BIRO" is unique: it writes with a ballpoint — a point that never goes wrong, never floods, bends or splutters — a point that rolls your writing on to the paper with effortless ease. "BIRO" ink dries as you write; you cannot smudge it; you need no blotter. […]
Retail price 55/- including purchase tax
- 1993, Iain Banks, Complicity, published 2008, unnumbered page:
- Frank's Biro taps delicately at the topmost of the little yellow notes.
- (by extension, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland) Any ballpoint pen.
- 2007, Karen Foxlee, The Anatomy of Wings, page 250:
- Massimo's finger was poised above red on his multi-coloured biro like a kangaroo frozen in headlights.
- (uncountable, by extension) Ink from a ballpoint pen.
- 2011, Shannon Lush; Jennifer Fleming, Completely Spotless, unnumbered page:
- ‘My very creative 2-year-old son used my good friend′s white polyester Roman blinds as a canvas,’ says Jacqui. They′re now covered in blue biro. And although my friend isn′t too bothered by the biro, I am! Can you help?′
ballpoint pen — see ballpoint pen
biro (accusative singular biron, plural biroj, accusative plural birojn)
- (directional) bearing
Borrowed from English beer, French bière, German Bier, Italian birra.
biro (plural biri)
- Un glaso di biro, danko. ― One glass of beer, thanks.
- birifar (“to brew, produce beer”)
- biriferio (“brewery”)
- birobarelo (“beer barrel”)
- biroglaso (“beer glass”)
From Dutch bureau (“bureau”), from French bureau, from Middle French burel, from Old French burel.
- “biro” in Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia, Jakarta: Language Development and Fostering Agency — Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology of the Republic Indonesia, 2016.
biro f (invariable)
- ballpoint pen, biro
- Synonym: penna a sfera
biro class 5 (plural mabiro class 6)
- office (building or room)
(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
|Even o-stem, no gradation|
- Koponen, Eino; Ruppel, Klaas; Aapala, Kirsti, editors (2002–2008) Álgu database: Etymological database of the Saami languages, Helsinki: Research Institute for the Languages of Finland
bìrō n (Cyrillic spelling бѝро̄)
- Synonyms: kancelàrija, úred
- joke; jest
- act of joking with someone
- sir (term of address)
- Eipper, Christopher, STATEMENT OF THE ORIGIN, CONDITION, AND PROSPECTS, OF THE GERMAN MISSION TO THE ABORIGINES AT MORETON BAY, CONDUCTED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN NEW SOUTH WALES, 1841.