- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌkɒnd͡ʒəˈɡeɪʃən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌkɑnd͡ʒəˈɡeɪʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The coming together of things; union.
- (biology) The temporary fusion of organisms, especially as part of sexual reproduction
- Sexual relations within marriage
- (grammar) In some languages, one of several classifications of verbs according to what inflections they take.
- 1530 July 18, Iohan Palſgrave, “The Introduction”, in Leſclarciſſement de la langue francoyſe […] , London: Richard Pynſon, Iohan Haukyns, OCLC 715474564, page 32; reprinted as Lesclarcissement de la langue françoyse, Genève: Slatkine Reprints, 1972:
- In ſo moche that if any verbe be of the thyꝛde coniugation / I ſet out all his rotes and tenſes […]
- (grammar) The act of conjugating a verb.
- (grammar) The conjugated forms of a verb.
- (chemistry) A system of delocalized orbitals consisting of alternating single bonds and double bonds
- (mathematics) A mapping sending x to gxg-1, where g and x are elements of a group; inner automorphism
- (mathematics) A function which negates the non-real part of a complex or hypercomplex number; complex conjugation
coming together of things
fusion of organisms
in some languages, one of several classifications of verbs
act of conjugating a verb
conjugated forms of a verb