gente f (plural genti)
- (Portugal) IPA(key): /ˈʒẽ.tɨ/
- (Brazil) IPA(key): /ˈʒẽ.t͡ʃi/
- (South Brazil) IPA(key): /ˈʒẽ.te/
- (Nordestino) IPA(key): /ˈʒẽ.ti/
- Hyphenation: gen‧te
gente f (plural gentes)
- a group of two or more persons
- persons forming a distinct identity
- A gloriosa história da gente portuguesa.
- The glorious history of the Portuguese people.
- Synonym: povo
- guys, folks (informal address to a group of people)
- (historical, Ancient Rome) gens (in Ancient Rome, a group of people descending from a common ancestor)
- Synonym: gens
For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:gente.
- ^ "gente" corresponds most closely with the English meaning of the word "people" as "a group of two or more persons." In Spanish, as in English, this word does not typically have a plural, since it is a collective noun. The plural is used in several common idiomatic phrases, however, or, rarely, in literature (e.g. don de gentes). Note that the other common meaning of "people" in English, which does have a plural, "a group of persons forming or belonging to a particular nation, class, ethnic group, country, family, etc" does not correspond with "gente", and "pueblo" should be used to convey that meaning, which may be singular or plural.