- præcise (archaic)
- exact, accurate
- 1921, Bertrand Russell, The Analysis of Mind:
- A memory is "precise" when the occurrences that would verify it are narrowly circumscribed: for instance, "I met Jones" is precise as compared to "I met a man." A memory is "accurate" when it is both precise and true, i.e. in the above instance, if it was Jones I met.
- 2018, James Lambert, “A multitude of ‘lishes’: The nomenclature of hybridity”, in English World-Wide, page 7:
- Individually, some of these definitions fall into the common definitional trap of being overly precise.
- (sciences, of experimental results) consistent, clustered close together, agreeing with each other (this does not mean that they cluster near the true, correct, or accurate value)
- 2013 June 22, “Snakes and ladders”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8841, page 76:
- Risk is everywhere. […] For each [kind] there is a frighteningly precise measurement of just how likely it is to jump from the shadows and get you. “The Norm Chronicles” […] aims to help data-phobes find their way through this blizzard of risks.
- adhering too much to rules; prim or punctilious
- See also Thesaurus:meticulous
(sciences) clustered close together
- (nonstandard, non-native speakers' English or European Union documents, transitive) To make or render precise; to specify.
- 2011, Proposal for a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on the Common Fisheries Policy:
- This proposal for a new basic regulation is justified because there is a need to precise the objectives of the CFP.
precise f pl
- first-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of precisar
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present subjunctive of precisar
- third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of precisar
- third-person singular (você) negative imperative of precisar
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of precisar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of precisar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of precisar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of precisar.