See also: refiné
- (transitive) To purify; reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities
- 2013 August 3, “Yesterday’s fuel”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- The dawn of the oil age was fairly recent. Although the stuff was used to waterproof boats in the Middle East 6,000 years ago, extracting it in earnest began only in 1859 after an oil strike in Pennsylvania. […] It was used to make kerosene, the main fuel for artificial lighting after overfishing led to a shortage of whale blubber. Other liquids produced in the refining process, too unstable or smoky for lamplight, were burned or dumped.
- to refine gold
- to refine iron
- to refine wine
- to refine sugar
- (intransitive) To become pure; to be cleared of impure matter.
- (transitive) To purify of coarseness, vulgarity, inelegance etc.; to polish.
- to refine someone's manners
- to refine a language
- A refined style
- to refine one's tastes
- (transitive, intransitive) To improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence.
- (transitive) To make nice or subtle
- to refine thought
- to refine someone's language
to reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy
to purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or excellent; to polish
to become pure; to be cleared of feculent matter
to improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence
to affect nicety or subtlety in thought or language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- refine in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- refine in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- first-person singular imperative of
- third-person singular imperative of