- The fervour or tireless devotion for a person, cause, or ideal and determination in its furtherance; diligent enthusiasm; powerful interest.
- She extols the virtues of veganism with missionary zeal.
- Synonyms: ardour, eagerness, enthusiasm, intensity, passion
- Antonym: apathy
- 1815 December (indicated as 1816), [Jane Austen], chapter 14, in Emma: […], volume (please specify |volume=I, II or III), London: […] [Charles Roworth and James Moyes] for John Murray, OCLC 1708336, page 250:
- [He] would begin admiring her drawings with so much zeal and so little knowledge as seemed terribly like a would-be lover,
- (obsolete) A person who exhibits such fervour or tireless devotion.
- Synonym: zealot
- The collective noun for a group of zebras.
- 2012, Alex Kuskowski, Zeal of Zebras: Animal Groups on an African Safari, →ISBN, page 8:
- A zeal of zebras confuses predators. Each zebra has a different set of stripes.
fervor or devotion