- “हि”, in खालिङ - नेपाली - अङ्ग्रेजी शब्दकोश (Khaling - Nepali - English Dictionary), Nepal: SIL International, 2016.
हि • (hí)
- for, because, on account of (never standing first in a sentence, but generally after the first word and used enclitically, sometimes after pronouns)
- सर्वो हि पृतना जिगीषति (sárvo hí pṛ́tanā jígīṣati) — for everybody wishes to win battles
- भवान् हि प्रमाणम् (bhavān hi pramāṇam) — for your honour is the authority
- तथा हि (tathā hi) — for example; accordingly
- न हि (ná hí), नहि (nahí) — for not; not at all
- just, pray, do (with an imperative or potential emphatically; sometimes with indicative)
- पश्यामो हि (paśyāmo hi) — we will just see
- indeed, assuredly, surely, of course, certainly
- हि वै (hí vaí) — most assuredly
- हि – तु (hi – tu), हि – पुनर् (hi – punar) — indeed – but
- often a mere expletive, especially to avoid a hiatus, sometimes repeated in the same sentence; hi is also said to be an interjection of "envy", "contempt", "hurry" etc.