See also: Ꙩ [U+A668 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER MONOCULAR O], ꙩ [U+A669 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER MONOCULAR O], ʘ [U+0298 LATIN LETTER BILABIAL CLICK], 𐍈 [U+10348 GOTHIC LETTER HWAIR], ⵙ [U+2D59 TIFINAGH LETTER YAS], ⊙ [U+2299 CIRCLED DOT OPERATOR], ⨀ [U+2A00 N-ARY CIRCLED DOT OPERATOR], and ◉ [U+25C9 FISHEYE]
Alternative forms Edit
Is astrology and alchemy (gold), a variant with a face: 🌞︎ is sometimes seen. This does not occur in astronomy, botany or (obsolete) chemistry.
- (astronomy, astrology) Sol, the Sun.
- A subscript to variables in mathematical equations, such as π☉ (solar parallax).
- 1803, Robert Patterson, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, volume 40 (in English), Princeton University Press, published 2013, page 71:
- Suppose the apparent angular distance of the sun & moon's nearest limbs [...] to be 110°.2′.30″ the app. alt of ☉'s lower limb measuring 20°.40′ and that of ☽'s lower limb 35°.24′
- (astronomy) solar mass.
- Synonym: M☉
- 1939, Oppenheimer & Volkoff, “On Massive Neutron Cores”, in Physical Review, volume 55:
- For masses under ☉ only one equilibrium solution exists
- (botany) annual.
- (alchemy, archaic) gold.
- (rare) Sunday.
- (philately) cancellation (with an ordinary post-office cancellation mark).
- (chemistry, obsolete) hydrogen (Daltonian symbol).
- Technically, this should be red: ☉. May also be typeset ⊙.
|Note: Character's appearance|
may be different on each system.
Text style is forced with ︎
and emoji style with ️
Derived terms Edit
- L☉ – solar luminosity (as a unit of measurement).
- R☉ – solar radius (as a unit of measurement).
- S☉ – solar constant (as a unit of measurement).
Related terms Edit
- (botany): ⚇ (biennial)
- (astrology): (Solar eclipse)
See also Edit
- (cartography): city center