- (transitive) To draw or let out wholly; to drain off completely
- The water was exhausted out of the well.
- Moisture of the earth is exhausted by evaporation.
- (transitive) To empty by drawing or letting out the contents
- to exhaust a well
- to exhaust a treasury
- (transitive, figuratively) To drain; to use up or expend wholly, or until the supply comes to an end
- My grandfather seemingly never exhausts his supply of bad jokes.
- to exhaust one's resources
- You're exhausting my patience.
- I exhausted my strength walking up the hill.
- (transitive) to tire out; to wear out; to cause to be without any energy
- The marathon exhausted me.
- (transitive) To bring out or develop completely
- (transitive) to discuss thoroughly or completely
- That subject has already been fully exhausted.
- (transitive, chemistry) To subject to the action of various solvents in order to remove all soluble substances or extractives
- to exhaust a drug successively with water, alcohol, and ether
to draw or let out wholly; to drain off completely
to empty by drawing or letting out the contents
to drain, metaphorically; to wear out
exhaust (plural exhausts)
- A system consisting of the parts of an engine through which burned gases or steam are discharged; see also exhaust system.
- The steam let out of a cylinder after it has done its work there.
- The dirty air let out of a room through a register or pipe provided for the purpose.
- An exhaust pipe, especially on a motor vehicle.
- exhaust gas.
system consisting of the parts of an engine through which burned gases or steam are discharged
the steam let out of a cylinder after it has done its work there
the foul air let out of a room through a register or pipe provided for the purpose
exhaust pipe — see exhaust pipe
exhaust (not comparable)
- (obsolete) Exhausted; used up.
- exhaust in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- exhaust in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- exhaust at OneLook Dictionary Search
- “exhaust” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- “exhaust” in Gran Diccionari de la Llengua Catalana, Grup Enciclopèdia Catalana.
- “exhaust” in Diccionari normatiu valencià, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua.
- “exhaust” in Diccionari català-valencià-balear, Antoni Maria Alcover and Francesc de Borja Moll, 1962.