From Middle English latis, from Middle French lattis (“lathing”), from Old French lattis, from latte (“a lath”), from Frankish *latta (“a lath”), from Proto-Germanic *lattǭ, *lattō, *laþþō (“board; plank; ledge”), from Proto-Indo-European *(s)latn-, *(s)lat- (“beam; log”). Cognate with Old High German latta (“lath”), (German Latte), Old English lætt (“lath”), Middle Low German lāde (“plank, counter, sales counter”), German Laden (“shop”). More at lath.
lattice (plural lattices)
- A flat panel constructed with widely-spaced crossed thin strips of wood or other material, commonly used as a garden trellis.
- (heraldry) A bearing with vertical and horizontal bands that cross each other.
- (crystallography) A regular spacing or arrangement of geometric points, often decorated with a motif.
- (group theory) A discrete subgroup of Rn which is isomorphic to Zn (considered as an additive group) and spans the real vector space Rn.
- (music) A model of the tuning relationships of a just intonation system, comprising an array of points in a periodic multidimensional pattern.
- (topology, Lie theory) A discrete subgroup L of a given locally compact group G whose quotient space G/L has finite invariant measure.
- (algebra, order theory) A partially ordered set in which every pair of elements has a unique supremum and a unique infimum.
- (flat panel constructed with strips of wood or other material): latticework
- (group theory): cubic lattice, integer lattice, square lattice (n=2)
- (order theory) complete lattice, distributive lattice
- (order theory) partially ordered set
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- To make a lattice of.
- to lattice timbers
- To close, as an opening, with latticework; to furnish with a lattice.
- to lattice a window
- lattice in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- lattice in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- Latticework on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Lattice (order) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Lattice (group) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Lattice (discrete subgroup) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Lattice (music) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Primitive cell on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Lattices on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons