- (intransitive) To assume a reclining position.
- Lie down on the bed until you feel better.
- Antonym: get up
- (intransitive) To be lazy or remiss.
- He never got promoted because he was always lying down on the job.
- 2012 May 9, John Percy, “Birmingham City 2 Blackpool 2 (2-3 on agg): match report”, in the Telegraph:
- They may have finished 11 points behind West Ham and lost both league games, conceding eight goals, but the Tangerine dream remains alive. Holloway said: “We won’t get a bigger test than West Ham but we’ve got one chance. If you’d asked me last summer when I lost all those players I’d have said this was a dead duck, but we don’t lie down at this club.”
- (intransitive) To submit passively.
- I'm not going to lie down and take this!
assume a reclining position
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked