nutmeg (plural nutmegs)
- An evergreen tree, Myristica fragrans, cultivated in the East Indies for its spicy seeds.
- The aromatic seed of this tree, used as a spice.
- A grey-brown colour.
- (soccer) The playing of the ball between the legs of an opponent.
- (transitive) To flavour with nutmeg.
- She decided the eggnog was lacking in flavor, so she decided to nutmeg it heavily.
- (soccer, transitive) To play the ball between the legs of (an opponent).
2015 February 24, Daniel Taylor, “Luis Suárez strikes twice as Barcelona teach Manchester City a lesson”, in The Guardian (London):
- Barcelona did not just out play them, they emphatically put them in their place during that opening 45 minutes when Luis Suárez scored twice, Dani Alves struck the crossbar, Lionel Messi nutmegged David Silva and Manuel Pellegrini’s team stumbled to the interval like a side in need of smelling salts rather than half-time oranges.
soccer/football sense of the verb