- (General American), IPA(key): /ˈaʊɚz/, /ɑɹz/
- (Received Pronunciation), IPA(key): /ˈaʊəz/, /ɑːz/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -aʊə(ɹ)z, -ɑː(ɹ)z
The Early Modern French pronunciation was /uʁ/ before consonants, /uʁz/ before vowels, and /uʁs/ in pausa. For the most part, the pausal pronunciations were eventually lost, but in some cases they were re-established as the basic form (reinforced in part by the spelling, in part by related words; in this case perhaps the feminine ourse).
- IPA(key): /uʁs/ (standard)
- IPA(key): /uʁ/ (archaic pronunciation, either for both numbers or only for the plural)
ours m (plural ours, feminine ourse)
- Haitian Creole: ous
- Louisiana Creole French: lours, lous
- Mauritian Creole: lurs
- Seychellois Creole: lours
- “ours” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- Alternative form of
- bear (mammal)
- French: ours