- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌəʊ.vəˈdu/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌoʊ.vəɹˈdu/
- Homophone: overdue (US, some dialects)
- To do too much; to exceed what is proper or true in doing; to exaggerate; to carry too far.
- Anything so overdone is from the purpose of playing.
- To overtask or overtax; to fatigue; to exhaust.
- to overdo one's strength
- To surpass; to excel.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Tennyson to this entry?)
- To cook for too long.
- to overdo the meat
to do too much of something
to fatigue, to exhaust
to cook too much
- overdo in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
- overdo in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.